Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dry, Overprocessed, Damaged, Thin Hair?

If any of those adjectives in the title apply to you, then this blog is for you!

I have colored my hair one way or another since I was 12 or 13 years old. When I was younger, Mommy used to pay for my hair to get done. As I got older, I have found that it's expensive to always go to a great hairstylist. The last year or two I have spent dying my own hair at home.

But I'm not a professional hair stylist. And over the last few times I've colored my hair, I have noticed significantly more hair loss each time. Resulting in what used to be a full, lucisous head of fine hair, to a thin head of fine hair. And it's been FREAKING ME OUT! (Please use me as a perfect example of why one SHOULD go to a professional. To prevent this from happening to you!)

I am much too young to be losing my hair. That's for when I get older. My ends are split, my hair is dry, my hairbrush is full of hair every time I brush it out, and when I pull my hair in a pony tail I notice my scalp shows much more than previously. So needless to say, I've been freaking out. And NO, I am not going to post of picture of that. I have too much pride :)

I have been trying to get my hair healthier. I have cut back DRASTICALLY on heat products, in fact I rarely use them anymore. Most days my hair is up in some sort of updo. Today in fact, my hair is in a low side braided bun.

I decided to do some research online to find affordable yet effective deep conditioners and hair masques. I decided I am willing to fork out some dough on a few different products if it'll mean my hair can return to a healthier way of life. I picked up almost $60 worth of products yesterday and decided last night to try Miracle 7 Deep Conditioner and Miracle 7 Leave In Mist.

The Deep Conditioner retails at Sally's Beauty Supply for 13.29.






 Leave in Conditioner Details

"Miracle 7 Deep Conditioner instantly detangles and defrizzes all types of hair."
  • Smoothes and adds shine
  • Improves color vibrancy
  • Defrizzes
"Miracle 7 Deep Conditioner instantly detangles & defrizzes all types of hair. Can be used as a daily or weekly conditioner. Best used after shampooing and conditioning with our color products by Miracle 7."


Usage Tips: After shampooing with our color protect shampoo and conditioner, work into hair 1-3 minutes and rinse. For a deeper conditioning, work in hair 5-15 minutes and then rinse. 



What I did: I jumped in the shower and quickly washed my hair. I have been told by many stylists that if you want to save money on a product, buy a cheaper shampoo. It's only in your hair a few seconds and then you rinse it out. But I was told spend the big $$ on conditioners. So I then put a buttload of conditioner in my hair. I don't think that was necessary but I was desperate. I decided to leave it on for 30 mins, because I wanted to see what kind of effects it would give. So I got out of the shower and after 30 mins, I rinsed it out of my hair. I then towel dried it and sprayed the Leave In Mist.




                                  
Leave In Mist Details:  Retails $13.29 at Sally's Beauty Supply
  • Repairs dry damaged hair
  • Seals & protects color
  • Stops hair breakage
  • Prevents split ends
  • Controls frizz
  • Adds shine
  • Detangles
"Miracle 7 Leave-in Mist detangles and adds shine while enhancing your hair's natural body. Stops hair breakage and prevents split ends. Controls frizz and creates heavenly silky hair."

Usage: "Use Miracle 7 Leave-in Mist for curly looks to enhance natural curl and control frizz or use to straighten hair with blow dryer and brush or flat iron."

Package Instructions: " Easy to use! Shampoo and condition hair. Towel dry. Spray Miracle 7 Leave-in Mist all over hair and comb through. Blow dry or style as desired."

Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Fragrance/ Parfum, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf, xtract, Quaternium-80, Ascorbic Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinon


After air drying for a while, I really couldn't tell any effects other than it felt soft. But the true test comes when the hair is dry. So I braided up my hair and hit the sack.

The Next Morning: OH. MY. GOSH. My hair felt so soft and smooth!!! It was kinky from the braid but did not feel dry or damaged in any way. I didn't want to ruin it by using heating products, so I just braided it up into a bun and added some hair spray. 

Now, I have to give it a few more tries, maybe even a month to really determine if it's working. I don't want to do too much of a good thing, so I will alternate between the deep conditioner and my Rusk Thickening conditioner. All the while I will try and refrain from using heat on my hair.

But if we are comparing Miracle 7 with It's A 10 leave in conditioners, I feel like they do the exact same thing. Except It's A 10 is triple the price of Miracle 7. So in my opinion, go get the cheaper version and buy yourself something nice with the extra money you are going to save.
It's A 10 Leave In Product

 I welcome anyone who has ever used this product to tell me how you like it. Or if anyone out there tries it after this blog, please let me know how it is working for you!

Can't wait to see if my hair gets it's groove back!

XOXO,

Amelia St. John

Feel Free to repost to your own facebook or twitter!

No comments: